Spiced Winter Green Ricotta Pie
WORDS Hannah Costello
PHOTOS Adam McGrath
Pies are the perfect dish for cooler weather—and the combination of flaky pastry, creamy ricotta and tangy silverbeet and kale make this recipe from Cafe Stepping Stone close to irresistible.
- 9.5 inch tart pan
- Medium-large pot
- Two large bowls
- 200gm silverbeet,
- thinly sliced
- 300gm kale,
- thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 12 curry leaves
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 350gm ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1-2 puff pastry sheets
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Heat a medium-large sized pot on the stove with the olive oil.
- Add fennel seeds and curry leaves and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until brown and fragrant.
- Add the onions and turn the heat down to low-med. Cook the onions for 5-8 minutes or until brown and soft.
- Add garlic, turmeric, coriander, chilli and salt and cook for an additional 2-4 minutes.
- Take the sliced silverbeet and kale and add it one cup at a time to the pot, mixing each cup well before adding the next. This should take about 5 minutes. Once all of the greens are added, add ½ a cup of water, mix in and then cover with a lid and cook for 10 – 15 minutes. Continue to stir the pot every 5 minutes.
- After 15 minutes have passed, take off the lid and cook for an additional 2-4 minutes or until there is no liquid left. If needed, add more salt to your taste.
- Take the pot off the heat and put the mixture in a bowl to cool down.
- If you are using frozen puff pastry, take it out of the freezer to defrost.
- While you wait for the greens to cool, in another large bowl, add the ricotta, lemon juice, zest and egg and mix well.
- Mix in the greens with the ricotta and then scrape the combined mixture into the large pie tin or tray.
- Take your puff pastry and drape it over the top of the green mixture to cover the whole top. You may have to use more than one sheet for this.
- Brush the pastry with some olive oil and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and puffy.
- Allow the pie to cool down for 10 – 15 minutes before cutting. Serve with a salad or some steamed vegetables on the side.