Ginninderry stretches from the north western suburbs of Canberra (Holt and Macgregor) across the ACT/NSW border into a part of the Yass Valley. It is bounded on two sides by the Murrumbidgee River and Ginninderra Creek. There’s no direct public road access to the NSW part of Ginninderry. You can only reach it by travelling through the ACT. This is one of the reasons why bringing the two areas of land together in one Master planned project makes a lot of sense.
Closer than you think
Ginninderry is close to existing schools, shops and community facilities including sporting clubs, recreation areas and employment centres. It is:
2km from the Kippax Group Centre providing access for everyday needs including a library, supermarkets, a post office, pharmacy, newsagency, food outlets, fashion and variety stores as well as church and community facilities.
10 minutes from the Belconnen Town Centre, which houses government departments, a community centre, the Westfield Shopping Centre and an arts centre.
Close to schools in Holt, Charnwood and Latham (in particular Kingsford Smith School in Holt), the University of Canberra and Canberra Institute of Technology in Bruce.
Close to emergency services, including the West Belconnen Emergency hub at Charnwood, Belconnen Police Station and the Calvary Hospital at Bruce.
Just 15kms from the city centre – less than 20 minutes by car.
On Monday 25 July Minister Yvette Berry MLA announced
that the first two suburbs of the Ginninderry development
would be named Strathnairn and Macnamara.
The new suburb of Strathnairn is named after the property of Strathnairn, located in the Belconnen district. The ‘Strathnairn’ property was originally part of a land grant awarded to 19th century explorer Captain Charles Sturt.
The property was established as a mixed grazing farm in the 1920s. In January 1934 the rural lease over Block 18 District of Belconnen was transferred to Mr Ian Hamilton Baird who named the property ‘Strathnairn’. The Baird family farmed the property until 1974 when the lease was resumed by the Commonwealth.
‘Strathnairn’ was first leased for community arts activities in 1977. Strathnairn Arts Centre continues to provide working spaces and facilities for a range of artists, crafts people and community groups.
On Monday 25 July Minister Yvette Berry MLA announced that the first two suburbs of the Ginninderry development would be named Strathnairn and Macnamara.
The second suburb to be developed in Ginninderry is Macnamara, named after Dame Jean Macnamara.
Dame Macnamara contributed significantly to medical science in Australia and was committed to improving the lives of children suffering from the viral disease, poliomyelitis.
As Honorary Medical Officer in the Physiotherapy Department at the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne during 1927-59 Jean organised and supervised the care of children suffering from poliomyelitis, training doctors and physiotherapists in the management of the disease.
Her discovery, in collaboration with Macfarlane Burnet, of the existence of multiple strains of the poliomyelitis virus, reported in 1931 in the British Journal of Experimental Pathology, proved pivotal in the development of the effective Salk vaccine.
In 1935 Jean was appointed Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire for services to the welfare of children.
Dame Jean was passionate about Australia’s rural heritage and the environment. In the face of commercial opposition, she maintained that if the country was to be left with any topsoil, the rabbit must be eradicated. Her tireless advocacy contributed to Jean playing a prominent role in the campaign for the testing and introduction of the myxoma virus to control the wild rabbit plague of the 1950s.
The Diagramatic plan for the Divisions of Strathnairn and Macnamara can be viewed here
The first two suburbs in the context of the West Belconnen / Parkwood Master plan can be viewed here